Sunday, December 4, 2011

DIY Coasters

We have started drawing names for Christmas in my family because it just keeps expanding!
I have my Mom this year and she mentioned she would like some coasters for outside on the patio furniture.

I'm sharing this project now because my mom doesn't seem to mind if she knows ahead of time what her present is...I am not this way, but she is, so I'm going with it :)

So, I bought card stock that I think my mom will really like and I happened to have all of the other necessary components.

Supplies:
  • tiles (got mine from Lowe's because it's closest, but can be found at other places too!)
  • mod podge
  • brush for mod podge
  • card stock
  • exacto knife or scissors to cut card stock
  • felt pads
  • clear spray paint
Step 1:  Cut card stock to desired size (didn't get a picture of this step)
Step 2:  Apply mod podge to tile
Step 3:  Place card stock on tile after mod podge has been applied - be sure to press paper down all around & get any creases/bubbles out
Step 4:  Let dry for about 10 minutes
Step 5:  Apply a coat of mod podge on top of card stock
Step 6:  After letting the previous coat dry, apply about two more coats (allowing about 15 min. between each coat to make sure it's dry & ready)
Step 7:  When the last coat is dry, grab your clear spray paint and put a layer on
Step 8:  Allow for the spray paint to dry and then put one more coat on
Step 9:  Place a felt pad in each corner and you're done!

Finished Product:
The super cute tag?
Found it here & I LOVE it.
It's a 'Naughty or Nice Tag' - would be adorable for the little ones.

Dusty & I did this project a while ago as well and made coasters for ourselves.
We made our own designs on ours and here's what they look like:
We have gotten A LOT of use out of them and of course, we love how inexpensive they were :)
AND you have to love the fact that you can make them look however you would like!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE THOSE TAGS! I'm pretty excited about the link you posted!... AND your mom will love those coasters! :) SUCH a great idea.. I saw them on pinterest too (However yours, I like better), my grandma thinks I should make some for all my speech-path classmates as a graduation gift.. I want to see about using pictures.. have you tried using photos instead of paper?? Hmm.. Thanks for the update! I love that you and Dusty have such creative minds!! :) Tell him hello!! (PS How many days till I get to see you!!- I need a count down.. I have to start practicing my pizza consumption abilities if we are getting the big box from Pizza Hut..)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I mention I love the photography skills---I would never think to have pictures of each step in the way that you organize it.. you know with objects/materials nicely organized in the background... so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, aren't those tags so adorable?

    I agree with your Grandma - fun gift idea! I am almost positive that pictures would work just as well - do a trial run! The tiles are only $0.16.

    I will be home in 9 days...woop woop...bring on the pizza!

    p.s. you are awesome & I love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Job Kassie......they will definitely add some color to the patio furniture.

    I will try and act surprised at Christmas. :):) Can't wait to have you home again!!!

    Love You

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you like them Mom! I can't wait to be home...soooo excited to be with everyone. Love you too.

    ReplyDelete